Neodymium magnets, popularly known as Neo magnets, are rare earth magnets. They are well-known for their very high magnetic properties. Today, they are considered to be the strongest commercial magnets available in the market. There are various kinds of technical and non-technical applications for which Neo magnets are used worldwide. Some of them are holding, wind generators, toys, atom smashers, name tags, magnetic jewelry hooks, filters, etc.
Neodymium magnets are highly suitable for those situations where there is a need for very strong bonding force, limited space is present, requirement for very less weight or a nice coating for decoration or gift is desired. These magnets have high adhesive force/volume, which helps them to be very useful, especially during the requirement of less space as well as less weight.
Characteristics of Neo magnets
They have a standard temperature resistance, which goes as low as -40⁰C and as high as 80⁰C. There are also special forms of neodymium magnets with greater working temperatures (above 80⁰C). Amongst neodymium magnets, rubberized Nd magnets are the most suitable for outdoor applications. In case of brittleness, if you use Neo magnets carefully and wisely, there will be no cracks and injuries to the handlers or spectators.
These magnets don’t lose their power of magnetization all by themselves. You can demagnetize them only when you use external factors such as powerful exterior magnetic fields or heat. So, you don’t have to worry about the longevity of its lifespan. The tolerance limit of Neo magnets ranges from -0.1 millimeter to +0.1 millimeter.
Neo magnets have a very powerful coercive field so it’s important to keep them a bit away from ferrite magnets. In terms of Aesthetics, these magnets are highly attractive because of the presence of silver color, which is given by the Ni-Cu-Ni coating.
Tips to handle Neo magnets
- When compared to other magnets like SmCo, Neo magnets are less susceptible to chipping and cracking, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be careful in handling them. As mentioned above, you must be vigilant and astute in their management. Also, their temperature sensitivity is a bit high, so you have to pay attention to that as well.
- Neodymium magnets are quite economical in the long run, depending upon the consumer usage. So, you should decide how, why and where you wish to use these magnets.
- These magnets are available in different kinds of grades as well as shapes such as rectangle, rod, square, disc, etc. You can also customize them according to your requirements and preferences, so it’s really advantageous for users.
- If you want to heat Neo magnets above 130⁰C, make sure that their circuit designs are precise and in synchronization with the applications.
- If you want to use these magnets in bonding products, keep the surfaces of bonding materials spotless and dry.
- Give a surface coating like plating to Neo magnets.
Usual applications of Neo magnets include drives of hard disks, MRI scanners, audio equipment such as loudspeakers, headphones and microphones, bearings, actuators, brakes with anti-lock systems, pumps, door latches, POP displays, magnetic therapy, electric vehicles, high performance engines, model making, levitation devices, etc.
Nowadays, there are various applications, which require inclusion of very strong magnets for proper functioning. If you have one such application and are wondering where to buy really strong magnets, you should go through websites where different forms of neodymium magnets for different purposes to different fields are sold at a reasonable price.